The 5 Best Patio Heaters of 2018
There is no better way to create atmosphere and relaxation than with a patio heater. Winter evenings on the patio will become a staple and something to look forward to for the whole family when you get a patio heater to beat the winter chills. Not only does a patio heater add to the temperature of your surroundings but it also creates a nice and relaxing vibe that will make stress melt away.
You can find a whole range of patio heaters from big to small and cheap to expensive. There is no rule that says a cheaper one is less effective than a more expensive one, so don’t worry about the cost. There is a patio heater for you no matter what your budget or preference. Our reviews will help you with all the necessary information about main features, pros and cons and more.
|Lava Heat Italia LHI-MILANO Patio Heater Freestanding, High-end, 36,000BTU, 6-foot radius||$$$$||Check Price|
|Golden Flame Series Matte-Mocha Patio Heater Freestanding, Mid-range, 46,000 BTU||$$||Check Price|
|Belleze Premium Patio Heater Freestanding, Low to mid-range, 48,000 BTU, 15’ radius||$$||Check Price|
|AmazonBasics Havana Bronze Commercial Patio Heater Freestanding, Low-range, 46,000 BTU||$$||Check Price|
|AZ Commercial Glass Tube Patio Heater Freestanding, Mid-range, 40,000 BTU, 12’ radius||$$$||Check Price|
|Lava Heat Italia LHI-MILANO Patio Heater
The Lava Heat Italia patio heater is our top choice because of its quality, safety features, and ability to create ambiance with a natural fire feel. It is the most expensive on our list and costs several times more than the mid and lower-range heaters, but it is worth the cost if you can afford it. The brand is well-known for excellent quality and for its very durable products.
- Heat covers up to 6-foot radius
- Ideal for medium-sized patio
- Designed with a steel grille around the heater for safety
- Heater enclosed by a tempered glass tube to enhance light effect
- Strong and durable
- Can withstand harsh weather and temperatures
- 6-feet tall
- 36,000 BTU
- Stainless steel construction with gunmetal finish
- Needs to be assembled and comes with instructions
- Tilt Switch Auto-Shutoff
- 3-year limited warranty
- Electronic ignition with a button push
- Up to 12 hours of use on a single propane tank
- Safety features to keep your family safe
- Sturdy and durable construction
- Easy start with the push of a button
- Very expensive compared to other patio heaters
|Golden Flame Series Matte-Mocha Patio Heater
The Golden Flame patio heater is a solid and weather-resistant heater that will warm your cold winter nights. It works with a pilotless burning system which means that the wind won’t blow out the flame. This is our favorite feature of this heater. It is a mid-range heater that is affordable for most budgets. It is easy to use and will extend the time you can spend in the beautiful outdoors long into the colder months.
- 46,000 BTU
- Pilotless burning system for better performance
- Built-in tilt switch for guaranteed safety
- Base allows for sand weight to keep it from tilting in bad weather
- 1-year warranty
- Easy to assemble
- Easy to start
- Sturdy and solid
- Sturdy and solid
- Tilt switch and other safety features
- Good heat production
- Some users have complained about the time it takes to assemble
|Belleze Premium Patio Heater
The Belleze patio heater is one of our favorite choices. It is powerful and its heat reaches further than any other heaters currently on the market. It is easy to switch on and enjoy the winter evenings without freezing. It has built-in safety features to give you peace of mind. To make it even better, this heater is a low-priced heater that is affordable for any budget. For the power, heat, and other features it offers, this patio heater is a steal.
- Weight bladder for sand or water to stabilize heater
- Uses Piezo ignition system that starts with the push of a button
- Variable heat control to manage temperature according to your preference
- Anti-tilt switch for safety
- 15’ radius of heat reach
- Very powerful heater
- Comes with wheels for easy moving
- Made from steel
- Sleek and modern design
- Heat radius is further than most other patio heaters
- Piezo ignition system
- Safety features
- Very powerful heater
|AmazonBasics Havana Bronze Commercial Patio Heater
The AmazonBasics patio heater is a well-priced heater that will look good on any patio. It is affordable for most families and will enable you to have relaxing and comfortable evenings on the patio with friends and family. It is powerful and comes with all the necessary safety features. The wheels make it easy to move to where you want it. If you are on a budget and want an entry-level heater, this is the one for you.
- 40,000 BTU
- Comes with an extra table
- Stylish design
- Comes with wheels for portability
- Heating element is enclosed in a quartz glass tube
- Heats up to 12’ diameter
- Constructed from durable and functional steel
- Long-lasting performance
- Tilt switch off feature
- 91 inches high
- Safety features for added stability
- Wheels included
- Piezo ignition system for fast start
- Durable and long-lasting steel construction
- Propane tank not included
|AZ Commercial Glass Tube Patio Heater
The AZ patio heater is a stylish heater that would be great for a home patio or for commercial use at a big event. It is a mid-range heater that comes with many great features. It is durable and will last a long time, and it also has some great safety features. One safety feature is its glass-enclosure element. The heater is enclosed in a glass tube which increases the safety of the unit. This patio heater will be a great addition to your outdoor entertainment or family evenings in any season. It is generally affordable and the heat reaches quite far.
- Long reach with 22-inch blades
- Lightweight and compact design
- 5Ah lithium-ion 20V battery
- Powerful output motor
- Easy to carry around and reach anywhere
- Hooked-tooth blade design
- Reduces the physical stress on arms and shoulders
- Battery has a long life and allows for longer use
- Powerful heater
- Durable and sturdy
- Safety features
- Access door for hiding propane tank
- Instructions for assembly are unclear and difficult to follow
A patio heater can bring that missing element to your outdoor family evenings or to dinner with friends. It adds warmth both in temperature and in atmosphere. It makes a huge difference to the overall feel and experience of being outdoors when you make use of a patio heater.
Before you run out and buy your heater, there are some things that you should keep in mind. Consider the different types and available features to help generate an idea of what kind of patio heater you need.
Types of Heaters
There are different types of heaters. The purpose and space of your heater will likely determine which of these you choose.
- Wall-mounted – These are usually electric and are great for saving space. If you want a heater that is smaller and can be mounted out of the way, a wall-mounted heater may be right for you. They may not reach as far as freestanding heaters.
- Freestanding – They can be set up anywhere and are ideal for use on restaurant patios and in areas that don’t necessarily need tables. They use fuel instead of electricity and have a far enough reach to heat many guests. All of our reviewed heaters fall into this category.
- Table Top – These are placed in the middle of a table around which your guests will sit. Tabletop heaters warm the whole table and are ideal if you won’t be moving around too much. They are not as powerful as the other two types of heaters.
Things to Think About
Size – The size and type of a patio heater are two factors that go hand-in-hand. The size you need will depend on the size of your patio and the space available. Your preference will also play a role. The largest types of heaters are freestanding, so you will also need to consider their height. Wall-mounted and tabletop heaters are smaller and take up less space.
Cost – Everyone has a budget. Gas and fuel heaters are the most commonly used type. Most freestanding heaters work with propane gas, so that will be an extra expense to consider. There are differences in cost between gas and electric heaters, but you can find both in a wide variety of prices. Know what your budget will allow, and look for heaters in that price range.
BTU – The BTU output is directly related to the power and reach of the heater. The more BTU a heater has, the more effective and powerful it will be. When a heater has 30,000 BTU or more, you know you will have no problem staying warm. The BTU for freestanding units is usually greater than that of the other two types of heaters.
Design – Design may be important to you. If you want a heater that will be aesthetically pleasing and work well with your patio décor, you should do some research. The glass pane heaters always look great and stylish. You may also want to consider several smaller heaters instead of one or two larger ones. There are many different designs and colors to choose from.
Safety – Seeing as we are working with fuel and electricity, safety is a very important consideration when you buy a patio heater. Look for a heater that has added safety features to ensure that your family will be safe around the unit. Things like auto tilt switches and weight reservoirs are important.
Mobility – Your need for mobility will depend on the space available and the purpose of your heater. If you want to be able to move it around to where you will be sitting, you need mobility or portability. If you want it to be fixed, you may want to look for wall-mounted heaters.
Stability – Stability is related to safety features. You want a heater that will be stable and won’t get knocked over by a slight breeze. Look for a sturdy and stable heater that will make you feel safe when you and your family are around it.
Patio heaters are wonderful things, and they will liven up any patio. When the cold seasons are coming you will be very grateful for your patio heater. It enables you to sit outside and watch the stars or spend time relaxing with family and friends regardless of the temperature outside. You can entertain outdoors while it is snowing and still feel warm and toasty.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
A beautiful green lawn is something that most of us want. A lawn that is lush and green and allows for picnics, lawn games, and other types of fun is the dream of any homeowner. It is not a difficult thing to keep your lawn looking and feeling the way you want it....read more
Hedges can be a real pain in the behind when they get out of hand. Fortunately, we have the best hedge trimmers for you right here. There are three different types of hedge trimmers. • Corded electrical • Battery-operated • Gas-powered We feature all three types on...read more